Tuesday, September 10, 2013

WHY: MILEY CYRUS WRECKING BALL VIDEO

Following the controversial performance of Miley Cyrus on this year's VMA is yet another talked about appearance from the 20 year old Disney star. Her new music video shows of her being completely naked and her famous tongue sticking out (like it has a life of its own) once again. 

But what are the possible reasons behind the said controversial video?

                                    


Miley Cyrus' new music video "Wrecking Ball" caused a lot of reactions (mostly violent) because of her almost all out display of flesh while swinging on a wrecking ball, not to mention her tongue to sledgehammer action too. Just when you think her VMA's twerking performance with Robin Thicke and foam finger experience is enough, she finds new props to get dirty with shortly after. 



Let us consider the three things that may constitute to the 360 degrees transformation from a Hanna Montana series to a shocking "Wrecking Ball" trending music video. 


CAREER:

LARRY RUDOLPH 

- Miley hired him as manager last March. He is known for reconstructing Britney Spears' career from a Musketeer to a sexy-fying pop star during her snake performance on 2001, also at the VMAs. Both are 20 years old when they surprised the VMA crowd. It was announced that Spears and Cyrus would have a collaboration for Cyrus' new album "Bangerz".

Photo from www.mtv.com

TERRY RICHARDSON 

- Director of the music video "Wrecking Ball". Terry Richardson is known for his overly sexual approach that he was even accused of exploitation. L.A. Times said: “Who’s he? Just a controversial figure in the fashion world who’s been repeatedly accused of exploiting kids and inappropriately touching models”. Richardson is responsible for the Glee cast cover of GQ Magazine which gained both negative and positive reactions from the fans of the youth oriented series.
  
Photo from http://wesleywinston.com/

FAMILY:

Tish Cyrus' (Miley's mom) reaction regarding her VMA performance as quoted from Crossmap

"Miley performing at the VMAs is so exciting," Miley's mom, Tish Cyrus, told Gossipdavid before the show on Sunday. "It's just fun for me to be here because it's been two or three years since she put out a record, and it's gone so crazy. I'm so excited for people to finally start seeing her as adult and performing, because it's kind of mind-blowing - it's huge." Tish says. 

"Like I look at her and go, 'Holy crap, that's my kid! It's just so impressive. Honestly. Just tune in. It will blow people's minds. You'll be shocked. There are a few surprises, too. She's so cool and so awesome." 

"I'm so proud of her, and just honestly, I'm in awe of who she's become as a performer," she added.

(on Miley's latest single):

"Wrecking Ball could be my favorite song EVER!!! Ive been listening to it for months on end and I NEVER get tired of it! Blows me away."

Billy Cyrus' (Miley's dad) reaction on Wrecking Ball video, from Entertainment Tonight -

"The song’s a smash. It wouldn’t have mattered if Miley would have worn jeans and a flannel shirt, a tux or a nun’s habit—her performance vocally on the tune reflects her roots and sheer God-given talent. I’m a song man. A musician singer-songwriter who loves all styles of music. I come from the old school where it starts with an artist and a song, colliding if you will, in a moment where the song, the singer, the producer, the band, and the listener become one. " 

He also tweeted:



Miley's sister Brandi is equally proud and tweeted: "All else side Miley sounded amazing".


LOVE:

Here is Miley Cyrus' explanation behind the record breaking music video, according to her on The Elvis Duran and The Morning Show - 

"If you look at my eyes, I look more sad than actually my voice sounds on the record," Cyrus says. "It was a lot harder to do the video than it was to record the song. It was much more of an emotional experience." 

"Lets get something straight. You guys don’t understand my music video. So let me explain it to you. I kiss the sledge hammer to show that I secretly still love the pain. I’m naked to show how Liam destroyed me, I become emotionally “stripped and naked” meaning I’m hurt on the inside. The wrecking ball symbolizes a destructive of love, hence the song title. (The wrecking ball breaks the walls and I’m left lying in the remaining of it) so instead of calling me a “slut” or a “whore” realize I’m trying to tell a story of a love that went wrong and destroyed me emotionally."

So here are the three main factors that we can consider responsible for Miley Cyrus' disturbing behavior... but are they? 

I would disagree with career as Miley started surprising the public with her "maturing" sexuality even during her album "Can't Be Tamed" on 2010. That same year she also mentioned that sex is a beautiful thing and that it is magic. Perhaps holding on to her 2010 album, Miley Cyrus can't really be tamed!

What disturbs me is her parent's reactions. I do appreciate their being supportive of their daughter, but reprimanding her decisions isn't as bad either. Among everyone's outrage towards her actions, we would expect to hear the most on her parents. If only they took the time and effort to make Miley realize the importance of self respect and self control.

"Wrecking Ball" is indeed an emotional song, it speaks of a strong message. The on and off relationship of Miley with Liam Hemsworth can undoubtedly be associated with it, but I am not sure if the extreme behavior can justify the said vulnerability. I personally like the song and I do appreciate the straight representation of the video on its underlying meaning . But some parts still leave me with the question: "Is this scene even necessary?". 

With all the questions left unanswered, the most important one is: 
Would you rather be the wrecking ball or the sledgehammer? ;)










About faorani

You Might Also Like

0 comments:

Post a Comment