Friday, January 1, 2016

WHY: MY 2015 LSS / BLAME IT ON NOONTIME SHOWS, FB, MOVIES AND FM RADIO


MY 2015 LSS / BLAME IT ON NOONTIME SHOWS, FB, MOVIES AND FM RADIO

Is it redundant to say the word "trending" almost ultimately trended for the year 2015? I mean it's one overplayed hit after another, a viral music video every quarter, memes shared thousands of times, famous theme songs and soundtracks dethroned after every much awaited movie and TV releases. 2015 is definitely a year of trending music here and there. This, I suspect, is the culprit for my ever changing LSS or last song syndrome.

See I prefer to listen to the radio on my way to work than my own playlist, just so I can be updated with mainstream music. And for someone who is working for a TV network, man I cannot escape the hits played on almost every variety show both of ABS-CBN and GMA! Already have a guess? Let's see if you got it right ;)




DISCLAIMER: All culprits (source of LSS) are from personal experiences only. Credits to the photo owners.


♪ ♫ "See all of my kindness, is taken for weakness. Now I'm Four Five Seconds from wildin', and we got three more days 'til Friday." ♪ ♫
FOURFIVESECONDS - Rihanna, Kanye West, and Paul McCartney
 culprit: FM radio, internet, gay friends 


It has all the ingredients for a hit: sensible lyrics, catchy melody, you have Kanye, you have Rihanna, and, well just someone named Paul McCartney! I've been hearing it on the radio but didn't really paid attention to it, until I heard it from my gay friends of different circles who have been hit by its LSS prior to me. 



♪ ♫ "So love me like you do, lo-lo-love me like you do♪ ♫
LOVE ME LIKE YOU DO - Ellie Goulding
 culprit: 50 Shades of Grey soundtrack, FM radio, PBB 737 


Together with the much awaited movie adaptation of E. L. James' 50 Shades of Grey is its equally sexy soundtrack. I'm not surprised that I instantly liked it, fan of Ellie Goulding since "Lights"! MANILA CONCERT PLEASE!!

And just when I thought I am over the LSS, over the second half of the year PBB 737 housemates Dawn and Zeus performed the song with a choreography many people got hooked with. 




♪♫ "Ba't di pa patulan ang pagsuyong nagkulang, tayong umaasang hilaga't kanluran" ♪ ♫
TADHANA - Up Dharma Down
 culprit: That Thing Called Tadhana, FB 


Although released in 2012 under UDD's Capacities album, 'Tadhana' became a major LSS for the month of February (and even its succeeding months) as the movie 'That Thing Called Tadhana' became everyone's fave hugot film. The intro of the song towards the ending of the movie where we can see Anthony driving and holding the illustrated book "The Arrow With A Heart Pierced Through Him" is a major kilig moment for me!


♪ ♫ "Gimme gimme I'm worth it. Give it to me, I'm worth it. Baby I'm worth it!" ♪ ♫
WORTH IT - Fifth Harmony

♪ ♫ "Boy you belong to me, I got the recipe, and it's called black magic."♪ ♫
BLACK MAGIC - Little Mix

 culprit: FM radio 


Hail girl power! I cannot remember the average number of times I heard 'Worth It' in a week, from those FM stations playing mostly foreign mainstream to the "masa" FM channel some drivers listen to. Due to its popularity, both 'Worth It' and 'Black Magic' became many dancers' fave song routine. 




♪ ♫ "It's been a long day without you my friend, and I'll tell you all about it when I see you again." ♪ ♫
SEE YOU AGAIN - Wiz Khalifa / Charlie Puth
 culprit: Fast and Furious 7, FM radio, music video deo 



The seventh installment of Fast and Furious last April is talked about not only because of the film's success but also for the sudden demise of Paul Walker, who plays Brian O'Conner in the movie. The music video is a tearjerker already, but when the song was played towards the end of Fast and Furious 7, I bet even the big boys shed a tear. I can still hear it being played on the radio, but can I just 'see you again' like after a long time from now please? 



♪ ♫ "Oh I think that I found myself a cheerleader, she is always right there when I need her♪ ♫
CHEERLEADER - Omi
 culprit: FM Radio, Internet 


Probably one of this year's summer anthem, Cheerleader is played on almost all FM stations in the metro. I used to hate it at first, but after hearing it several times I found myself singing and actually even relating to it :) It is a sweet song after all. The song became more popular as the months turn, being evident on FB status and Instagram videos. I think I can handle the LSS till 2016, there's just so much good vibes with Omi's first single. "Cheerleader" was also played during the Miss Universe coronation night, and like 'Clarity' last 2013, you know you're a hit that year when Miss Universe picks your song. 

Kidding. That's just my theory ;)



♪ ♫ "Cause baby now we've got bad blood, you know it used to be mad love." ♪ ♫
BAD BLOOD - Taylor Swift
 culprit: music video, Internet, FB 


The music video for Taylor Swift's "Bad Blood" is probably every girl's (not mine though) #squadgoal inspiration. You have Taylor (of course), Jessica Alba, Lily Aldridge, Cindy Crawford, Cara Delevingne, Lena Dunham, Ellie Goulding, Gigi Hadid, Mariska Hargitay, Martha Hunt, Karlie Kloss, Ellen Pompeo, Serayah, Hailee Steinfeld, Hayley Williams, Zendaya, and wait there's more, Kendrick Lamar. Now isn't that enough to trend worldwide?



 ♪ ♫ "When tomorrow comes I'll be on my own. Feeling frightened of the things that I don't know." ♪ ♫
FLASHLIGHT - Jessie J
 culprit: Pitch Perfect 2, FM Radio 


Jessie J performed the original soundtrack for the sequel of 'Pitch Perfect', but in the movie it was Barden Bellas' newest member Emily (Heilee Steinfeld) who wrote the song while Becca (Anna Kendrick) produced its beats. It was an emotional scene as they performed it together with the former members of Barden Bellas. It became popular on radio stations and was even featured in the app Smule where anyone can sing a duet of "Flashlight" with Jessie J.



 ♪ ♫ "Blow a kiss, fire a gun, we need someone to lean on." ♪ ♫ 
LEAN ON - Major Lazer
 culprit: FM radio, bars / clubs 


"Lean On" became an instant fave on my Spotify playlist. It also became a mainstay to FM stations Magic, RX, and RT. One time I heard it being played both on RX and Magic with just a few seconds interval. Clubs and bars also didn't fail to include it on their playlist, into which I never fail to sing along. Speaking of sing along, funny how I didn't realize that I misheard the lyrics all along, not until as I write about it now. I actually thought it was "Focus, fire a gun, we don't need someone to lean on." Haha!




 ♪ ♫ "Now watch me whip, now watch me nae nae, now watch me whip whip, watch me nae nae." ♪ ♫
WATCH ME WHIP / NAE NAE - SILENTO
 culprit: Internet, FM Radio, noontime shows, music video, FB 


Does this need explanation? Haha. Another dance craze hit the country courtesy of Silento. I can hear it left and right whether I'm off to work, at the mall, food hubs, cab or jeepney, or even pedicab haha, everywhere man! Its music video is even a compilation of different people from different places who captured themselves doing the 'Nae Nae'. Kids know the steps by heart, jumping off their seats just upon hearing "Silento!".



 ♪ ♫ "I can't feel my face when I'm with you. But I love it, but I love it." ♪ ♫
I CAN'T FEEL MY FACE - The Weeknd

 culprit: FM radio, Internet 


Many got familiar with him because of this song. While I already know him prior to "I Can't Feel My Face', it was only this year when I discovered him for "Earned It" which is part of the 50 Shades of Grey soundtrack. I don't mind the LSS I got with this song. Abel Makkonen Tesfaye or The Weeknd definitely got us head bumping with its catchy tunes!



 ♪ ♫ "God gave me you to show me what's real. There's more to life and just how I feel"  ♪ ♫
GOD GAVE ME YOU - Bryan White

 ♪ ♫ "And darling I will be loving you 'til we're 70. And baby my heart could still fall as hard at 23" ♪ ♫
THINKING OUT LOUD - Ed Sheeran


 ♪ ♫ "Dance! (Ooh-hoo~) I Wanna Dance Dance Dance Da-Dance! Fantastic Baby"  ♪ ♫
FANTASTIC BABY - Big Bang

 culprit: KalyeSerye 


Eat Bulaga's segment "KalyeSerye" and its love team AlDub or Alden and Yaya Dub is probably one of 2015's biggest breakthrough. The show's popularity opened a lot of opportunities for consumerism. Almost anything and everything related to the cast is sure to be a hit, and music aren't exceptions to it. The 90's ballad "God Gave Me You" even became familiar again to many that its artist Bryan White even had a concert here few months back due to his sudden popularity. 

I am not much of a fan though but those few times I get to watch it is enough for me to have the LSS with their song choices. I even only discovered 'Fantastic Baby' through Jose's funny antics, and I didn't know it's KPop LOL!



 ♪ ♫ "On the wings of love up and above the clouds the only way to fly, is on the wings of love."  ♪ ♫
ON THE WINGS OF LOVE - Kyla


 ♪ ♫ "I just can't compare you with anything in this world, you're all I need to be with forevermore"  ♪ ♫
FOREVERMORE - Juris

 culprit: ABS-CBN's On The Wings of Love and Forevermore 



Aside from AlDub, the other two love teams that caused us LSS are JaDine and LizQuen. Admittedly I was a fan of the serye Forevermore, I would even watch it before I sleep on iWant TV just to catch up. I actually do miss the La Presa community haha. Juris revived the Side A hit giving it a more sweet-like-strawberry feels for the viewers.

And for the second half of the year comes the most kilig teleserye for 2015, On The Wings of Love. People would actually scream and go giddy just by hearing the theme song of the same title. Kyla is definitely the perfect choice to sing the serye's version of the 90's hit as her angelic voice makes Leah and Clark's scenes more kilig as ever.



 ♪ ♫ "Naniniwala na ako sa forever, magmula nung nakilala kita."  ♪ ♫ 
BAHALA NA - James Reid and Nadine Lustre
 culprit: Internet, KalyeSerye, FB, Memes, my crazy friends 


We can't talk about JaDine without mentioning this song. Well actually it's more of a Last Line Sydrome for me as I really didn't know where the song came from until I searched it for this post. The line became popular on the internet, alongside people's hugot on forever. Jollibee even used it for their advertisement. Even KalyeSerye uses it, and it's really funny everytime. The line "naniniwala na ako sa forever" has also been a running joke among my friends.



 ♪ ♫ "Hit the Quan, Hit the Quan, Hit the Quan, Hit the Quan"  ♪ ♫
HIT THE QUAN - iHeart Memphis

 ♪ ♫ "Oh, the way that you move makes me go cray, pick it up now drop girl you could be my new thang."  ♪ ♫
NEW THANG - Red Foo

 culprit: noontime shows, FM radio 


Like what I said when you work for a TV network, there is a big chance you'll find yourself being too familiar with its artists and programs, even if I am under its digital department. With television on almost all corners of each floor you'll definitely be hit with every noontime show's LSS. I'm pretty sure mine isn't because of the dance numbers, but that it has been used as background music for hosting spiels and punchlines. 



 ♪ ♫ "I know when that hotline bling, that can only mean one thing." ♪ ♫
HOTLINE BLING - Drake
 culprit: Music video, Internet, FB, FM radio, memes 


Another highlight of 2015 is Drake's "Hotline Bling". I'm not sure if it became popular on the different FM stations because it went viral over the internet, but I am sure the music video's views went up because of the memes, gifs, vines shared to almost all social media platforms. I still enjoy listening to it, which is not surprising since I have always been a fan of Drake. Can't help but laugh with some of the gifs though, I mean who did his choreography? Well whoever he is, he must be a genius! Admit it, those dance steps paved way to the song's popularity!




 ♪ ♫ "Hello from the other side, I must've called a thousand times" ♪ ♫
HELLO - Adele
 culprit: Music video, Internet, FM radio, FB, memes 


What a perfect title for a comeback! After four years Adele says Hello again and everyone's excited about it, prompting netizens to post here and there! I didn't like the song at first but after hearing it almost everyday, I saw myself falling in love with the lyrics and making it my new "shower song"! People can't help but also compare it to Lionel Richie's "Hello", resulting to numerous funny memes and videos combining the two. Some also made their own version of the music video, especially the phone scene.



 ♪ ♫ "What do you mean? When you nod your head yes but you wanna say no what do you mean?♪ ♫
WHAT DO YOU MEAN - Justin Bieber

♪ ♫ "Yeah I know that I let you down, is it too late to say sorry now?♪ ♫
SORRY - Justin Bieber


 culprit: FM radio, Internet, FB 


This is definitely Justin Bieber's year! Despite the many bashers this boy received growing up, his album "Purpose" definitely vindicated him. Not to mention Bieber's charisma (and abs) which turned many girls into instant Beliebers! His collaboration with Skrillex "Where Are You Now" has been my secret favorite, not letting others know after finding out it was from Bieber. Then I heard "What Do You Mean" and the lyrics was just spot on! I see myself opening up about my likeness with the song, but still trying to be discreet somehow. 

Later on the LSS of "Sorry" hit me as well and I just have to surrender, I have indeed become a fan of his music (or album at least) haha. Oooh, "Love Yourself" for sure is an LSS for others too! Justin's "What Do You Mean" and "Sorry" have also become a fave routine among dance camps.



 ♪ ♫ "I'll never go far away from you even the sky will tell you that i need you so.♪ ♫
ILL NEVER GO - Erik Santos
 culprit: A Second Chance 


People's excitement and expectations for this film is from the success of its predecessor "One More Chance". Although the sequel focuses more on the complications and reality of married life, the good thing about it is that they were able to retain most of the original cast and just added a few new ones. Aside from the cast, the soundtrack of 'One More Chance' sang by Erik Santos "Ill Never Go" still remained in the 2015 film. I don't know about you guys but everytime I would hear that song since 2007, I am only reminded of Popoy and Basha. 



 ♪ ♫ "I want it all day long, I'm addicted like it's wrong. Whatcha gon, whatcha gon do with that dessert.♪ ♫
DESSERT - Dawin
 culprit: FM radio, noontime shows, FB 


Same as 'Watch Me Nae Nae', Dawin's "Dessert" is everywhere! The song has been played on almost all radio stations, perfectly giving me the LSS. Noontime shows are no escape to this new dance craze especially with Vice Ganda and the tandem of Jose & Wally joining the bandwagon. They even made their own version of the chorus: "Dog, cat, binaliktad kinulot pa. Dog, cat, binaliktad kinulot pa. Bernadette, Bernadette dance floor dance floor!" "Dessert" and "Watch Me Whip / Nae Nae" became 2015's most favorite dance number for the Holiday parties and reunion.


and last but not the least...


♪ ♫ "Duuh Duuh da da da Duuh Duuh da da da Duuh Duuh dun-dun-dun-duuuuh...♪ ♫
STAR WARS THEME - John Williams
 culprit: Star Wars VII - The Force Awakens, Internet, FB, memes 


Okay I know there isn't any lyrics to uncontrollably sing everyday, but I definitely hummed the Star Wars theme for many months which I think is kind of the same thing, LOL. Hmm, perhaps I can call it the Last Humm Syndrome? After a decade Star Wars finally released its seventh episode, and the whole world prepared for it! Here in the country alone you can see Star Wars merchandise everywhere, advertisements of Star Wars related promos, teasers on different media platforms, the force is really strong one cannot escape the LSS. This is probably my fave among the list, being a Star Wars fan myself. I am also glad that aside from us, kids have also been hit with the LSS and that they are introduced to the awesome saga of George Lucas! 

Let us also not disqualify the other Last Humm Syndrome:

♪ ♫ "Dadada dun, dun, DUN, dundundunnnnnnnn." ♪ ♫ 

I'm sure the Stormtroopers would appreciate including Imperial March to the list! :D


Happy 2016 everyone!

Cheers to another set of LSS for everyone to either hate or enjoy! :)







About faorani

You Might Also Like

0 comments:

Post a Comment